Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stuff

I was listening to Rick Steves today on NPR. Great inspiration for travel. I mentioned I wanted to do some traveling to my husband and he said I didn't want it bad enough. First I was offended. What! That is one of my favorite things. Then I took a moment and thought about it and realized he was right. I could be doing things to make it more possible for us to travel.

The first thing I thought of was to pare down our stuff. Ok, may not seem directly related, but I think it is. I'm living in a house that is too big for our current needs, and filling it with stuff. I think we need to pare down the stuff and think more about what we need for the life we want to live.

I think I'm going to start by selling and giving away a good portion of my books. I really enjoyed many of them, but there is no reason to keep them for that sometime in the future when I want to read them again. That is what the library is for. And if I want to share these great stories with my daughter, again, the library. This won't make a ton of money, but every little bit helps and it may lead to something else. Meanwhile I'll be reducing clutter from my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight and leaving a comment. I read several of your posts and see that we have much in common.

    There are a plethora of simplicity blogs out there. I read several of them regularly and even though I have been on a path of simplicity for many years, I still find inspiration from them.

    I too love to travel and love Rick Steves!

    ReplyDelete